First of all, thank you to Money Bacon Guy at MoneyBacon.com for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. It’s an honor and privilege.
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to those who are inspiring and bring sunshine into the lives of their readers and fellow bloggers. It is such an honor to receive!
My inspiration for what I did and what led me to blogging came from an off-the-cuff remark by a colleague. He’s long forgotten about me and that’s okay. It’s more often the friends, family and people around you that inspire you.
- Thank the person that nominated you
- Answer the questions from the person that nominated you
- Nominate some other bloggers for this award
- Write the same amount of questions for the bloggers you have nominated
- Notify the bloggers you have nominated
The Questions I was asked:
2. What would you do for an hour each day if there were 25 hours in a day?
I could get cheesy and say, spend one more hour with my family, but as I’m already home 24 hours a day, there may be some protest. In all honesty I should probably use that extra hour to walk of some excess body mass. I don’t get to exercise enough and yet it is so good for mind and body.
Having traveled around the world considerably, I would have to say I would like to take that month and take a road trip around the States. For my work I’ve traveled all across the states but regrettably never taken the time to actually visit the places I was at. This country has so much beauty to offer in both people and nature, all it takes is some to time to get there and take it all in.
4. What has been your biggest financial mis-step/regret?
I don’t have any regrets as I consider each experience a lesson, even the bad ones. My biggest financial misstep is probably getting emotionally attached to an investment that should have stayed strictly business. I’m of the motto that if you can’t pay for something in cash you shouldn’t buy it (other than my house). When we were due for a new car we invested some extra money in a green company to pay for what was to be our first Prius. I did just that but after cashing out, I got back in and back in large. The company went south and I lost close to $60,000. That was the last individual stock I got into big and have focused the majority of our investments in index tracking funds and ETFs.
5. Imagine a menu that lists every type of food ever made. The food is free but the catch is you can only pick one thing. What one food item would you choose? (Mine would include bacon).
That would be balkenbrij (you’ll have to google that one) but only made by my mother. I couldn’t even begin to explain what is in it. All I remember is that it was really good. BTW, Money Bacon Guy, it has bacon bits in it.
Here are my nominees for the award.
The Divas @ Debt Free Divas
Mr CBB @ Canadian Budget Binder
My lovely wife Lynn @ lynnvanlier.com who’s posts always put a smile on my face.
My dear friend Josette @ tour-guide-canada.com who’s love of nature still inspires me.
Jeremy @ Modest Money who really got me started blogging. Thanks for all your support.
Here are my questions for you.
- If you were able to retire early, what would you do after retirement?
- If you could go back in time and meet with someone that is no longer with us, who would it be?
- What is your ultimate financial goal?
- What is the one lesson you want people to walk away with from your blog?
- What did you want to be growing up and was blogging even remotely on your mind?